- Successfully figuring out how to use less plastic.
- Educating myself about plastic, waste, and other environmental issues that I never thought about before.
- Experiencing endless support from family, friends, co-workers, and readers.
- Watching the readership and comments on my blog grow and grow. It's been great to know that people are interested in what I'm doing.
- Being featured in Time Magazine, Mother Jones Magazine, The Dallas Morning News, Positively Green Magazine, and on NPR, the BBC website, and Forecast Earth, the Weather Channel’s environmental website (click the links for the stories).
- Trying to figure out how to reduce the plastic I use. The first few months were really tough because I had to completely rethink everything I buy.
- Using plastic, even though I write this blog. I hate it, but it happens on occasion and I usually feel like I'm deceiving people. It's just hard not to give into my weaknesses for coffee and fancy cheeses.
- Being scared that people will think I'm a freak. Not conforming is hard, even if it's with something like not using plastic. For a long time a didn't even have the guts to tell my co-workers about what I'm doing.
The Thanks Yous
- My family - Thanks to my Mom and Dad for always being interested in and supportive of what I'm doing, and thanks to my siblings for providing ideas, commentary, and general well wishes. Thanks also go out to my family for making the effort to create my first plastic-free Christmas and my second one.
- My friends - Thanks to all of my friends who have put up with my plastic-free-ness. It's always appreciated. Additional thanks to a certain someone who had to put up with me when I was first figuring out what I was doing. I know it was annoying, so thanks for being patient!
- My co-workers, who are also my friends - Why was I so scared to tell you at first? Thanks so much for all your support and positive feedback (and for not being too mad that I waited to tell you about this project).
- Life Less Plastic readers - Thank you for all of your interest, as well as for your thoughtful and supportive comments. Some of you have been with me on this ride since the beginning, and I dearly appreciate everything you have contributed.
To mark my two year anniversary, I'll be hosting another blog contest in the near future. Check back soon for the details.
And thanks again to everyone!