Two Year Anniversary of Life Less Plastic!

It's been two years since I started writing this blog and trying to reduce the amount of plastic I use. It's been a crazy ride, filled with lots of ups and downs, including but not limited too...

The Ups
  • Successfully figuring out how to use less plastic.
  • Educating myself about plastic, waste, and other environmental issues that I never thought about before.
  • Experiencing endless support from family, friends, co-workers, and readers.
  • Watching the readership and comments on my blog grow and grow. It's been great to know that people are interested in what I'm doing.
  • Being featured in Time Magazine, Mother Jones Magazine, The Dallas Morning News, Positively Green Magazine, and on NPR, the BBC website, and Forecast Earth, the Weather Channel’s environmental website (click the links for the stories).
The Downs
  • Trying to figure out how to reduce the plastic I use. The first few months were really tough because I had to completely rethink everything I buy.
  • Using plastic, even though I write this blog. I hate it, but it happens on occasion and I usually feel like I'm deceiving people. It's just hard not to give into my weaknesses for coffee and fancy cheeses.
  • Being scared that people will think I'm a freak. Not conforming is hard, even if it's with something like not using plastic. For a long time a didn't even have the guts to tell my co-workers about what I'm doing.
Through all of these ups and downs, there have been many people who have supported me, which I have appreciated immensely.

The Thanks Yous
  • My family - Thanks to my Mom and Dad for always being interested in and supportive of what I'm doing, and thanks to my siblings for providing ideas, commentary, and general well wishes. Thanks also go out to my family for making the effort to create my first plastic-free Christmas and my second one.
  • My friends - Thanks to all of my friends who have put up with my plastic-free-ness. It's always appreciated. Additional thanks to a certain someone who had to put up with me when I was first figuring out what I was doing. I know it was annoying, so thanks for being patient!
  • My co-workers, who are also my friends - Why was I so scared to tell you at first? Thanks so much for all your support and positive feedback (and for not being too mad that I waited to tell you about this project).
  • Life Less Plastic readers - Thank you for all of your interest, as well as for your thoughtful and supportive comments. Some of you have been with me on this ride since the beginning, and I dearly appreciate everything you have contributed.
The Blog Contest
To mark my two year anniversary, I'll be hosting another blog contest in the near future. Check back soon for the details.

And thanks again to everyone!

Comments

Reenie Beanie said…
You're welcome. And I am sorry for eating the molasses cookies that you received as a gift on your first plastic free Christmas. It's not my fault Geegs is an excellent baker!! ;)
Jeanne said…
Ah, I can't blame you. Those cookies were DAMN good. Geegs does have a talent!
mrs green said…
Congratulations on your two year anniversary. You are an inspiration with all that you do and I love reading about your finds and adventures.

It's wonderful that you choose to share your experiences to bring awareness to people and I'm sure many have followed in your footsteps to reduce their own plastic usage.
mrs green said…
Have now popped up a few words about you on our site. It's late, but the site is running behind due to our kitty dying :(

It just means I get to say Happy anniversary again!

Hope you're having a great week and keep up the fab work!

http://myzerowaste.com/2009/10/mrs-greens-six-stories-on-sunday-15/
Hi, I just came across your blog from the link on My Zero Waste and I've been reading back - it's really good inspiration (I've just started trying to reduce my own plastic consumption) I'm looking forward to seeing your future posts and can't belive I missed this blog for 2 years!

Sooz x
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wow two years of life less plastic is already a big accomplishment. As much as possible, I avoid plastics, for instance, using recyclable tote bags when going to the groceries. By this, I was able to reduce using plastic bags which will definitely just be thrown on the garbage can.
Carmen said…
Jeanne, I just found your blog linked thru Time Magazine. A friend of mine sent me the link to the article awhile back for whatever reason. I've added your blog to my favourites because I too have tried to live a life with less plastic - and buy stuff that is recyclable. I avoid anything with number 3 or number 7 plastic because they don't recycle it here. Here being Finland, where I have lived for the last 11 years. (I'm from Canada originally). Finland, where in parts of the country they gather "energy waste" at specified ecopoints and burn it in power plants to supply energy and heat. Since I have discovered what "energy waste" is my consumption habits have changed and the garbage leaving my house for the bins has been dramatically minimized. I have spent the last six years hammering it into my husband's head and I think he is finally gettting the point! :) Anyways - I admire your efforts - I will look for some hints and tips from your blog! Cheers... Carmen
Carmen said…
Hi again Jeanne, I had one question that I wanted to ask. I suppose I need to read back to find the answer, but maybe you could also answer it here... When you embarked on this change, what did you do with the plastic that already existed in your life - did you retain that element or did you also get rid of all the plastic utensils and other easy to replace things?... I will also admit to dumpster diving - Finns are very wasteful! You should see the stuff I have picked up for my daughter from our garbage area - clothes, shoes, a brand new downhill skiing helmet (not cheap!), books, toys (cringe) - some are plastic ones... perfectly good bins, baskets and other stuff that has become useful in my home... Ah - but anyways... Just thought I would ask the above question. Cheers..
hihihi! said…
That's amazing. ;) The point of your goal shouldn't be to use NO plastic at all but to reduce drastically the amount. That's like saying "rid the world of all evil" which is impossible. it's about mental health and care for the enviro, if that's what your goal is. You can VERY easily grow your own veggies too! I hope where you live permits that; then it would take no plastic at all except for maybe the seeds.
I feel the same way about "not telling others"-I'm doing the same thing with paper, reusing every piece I have. I have to make exceptions for tests-I can't do anything about it. It's "right". Over the term some teachers noticed while others just ignored it. Some students did too, and some think it's really cool, others, that I'm "too caring, too little." every little bit counts, and what you're doing is right when you feel right! :)

Popular Posts