Over the past few months, I've been quite good with taking all the necessary precautions to avoid plastic, but during the past few weeks, I've been lax with at least one thing: remembering to say those very important words, "no straw please."
I would estimate that I've ordered five different drinks, only to be shocked and appalled when each one was handed to me across a bar or delivered to my table with some hideous red or green straw swimming in it. Not good and totally my fault.
To ensure that this never happens again, I am now going to make a public promise:
From now on, I will always remember to say "no straw, please" when ordering a drink.
Other Important Phrases
No that I've made my official no-straw promise, here's a list of important phrases for any plastic free individual:
- "No bag, please" - When grocery shopping or making purchases of any kind.
- "No plastic silverware, please" - When ordering takeout.
- "No lid, please" - When ordering beverages such as coffee (Note that Starbucks doesn't allow this)
- "How do you package that?" - When buying things online or over the phone, including takeout.
- "Can you wrap that in paper?" - At the deli or meat counter.
Anyone have any good phrases to add?