So naturally I don't want to disturb this amazing status quo. I mean, why would I want to change something that is working pretty well for me right now? But since there's a serious lack of hair care products that aren't packaged in plastic, I may have to. Crapola!
Luckily, I don't actually have to give up shampoo. There are several options out there that seem totally viable including:
- Doctor Bronner's bar soap, which has worked fine when I've used it on camping trips
- The various shampoo bars available at Lush
- Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo, which I totally forgot about (an entry in Fake Plastic Fish reminded me).
Still, I know I will (or might) make it through this because I think I have a plan. Here's an outline:
- When I run out of my current shampoo, I'll make the switch to one of the various products above, which will probably be fine.
- I'll slow my use of the two bottles of conditioner I still have to one application per week.
- When I run out of the conditioner I still have, I'll probably go out (after I finish crying) and buy one of the conditioning bars available at Lush, which don't get great reviews. Then I will hope and hope and hope that my hair still looks nice.
- If my hair is miserable and looks horrible after a few months of the new regiment, I'll go out and buy a bottle of eco-friendly plastic-packaged conditioner and only use it once a month or on special occasions.