Buy Nothing Challenge: The Results

Buy Nothing Challenge - April 2008

Early last month, I wrote a quick post about how I was participating in Crunchy Chicken's Buy Nothing Challenge for the month of April.

Well, April is over, and I'm pleased to report that I did awesome. I only bought one thing for the entire month—a DVD of the Algalita Marine Research Foundation's Synthetic Sea film. I bought the movie in case I have additional presentations about plastic or anyone I know is interested in seeing it. Obviously, and somewhat ironically, it's made out of plastic, which makes me sad, but hopefully the effect it has on people will make it worth it in the end.

Anyways, I do want to admit a few things about The Challenge:

First, it was really easy for me because I'm anti-plastic and there is so little I can buy in the first place.

Second, during April I did go out to eat several times, order several drinks at bars, and buy two lattes at Starbucks. All of these things were okay according to the contest rules.

That said, I think I would like to do the challenge again in a few months and make restaurant meals and alcoholic and coffee beverages made outside the home. I think it will be a fun way to challenge myself and I can save a bundle of money at the same time.

Final comment: even though I can't really buy too much anyway, it's still amazing to see that it really is possible to go an entire month without buying a single thing.

Comments

Jeanne said…
Update: Oops! I forgot that I bought tickets to Jersey Boys for my parents 35th wedding anniversary. Not sure if that counts, but I figured I have to mention it.
Anonymous said…
I once went a whole month without eating out at all. At the time it was a big step for me since I was used to going out once or twice a day. I was amazed and how much more money I had at the end of the month and how much better I felt since I eat better at home then I do when I eat out.
Anonymous said…
a couple of weeks ago, the car was in for repairs and a tune up. we were vehicle free for 3 weeks. i thought the kids were gonna croak the first couple of days but they did so well! we bought not a single thing in those 3 weeks. walked where we wanted to go, stayed busy around the house and played games or read for entertainment. it was great! car's back now but things haven't changed much. they say it takes 21 days to make a new habit... looks like we have.

Popular Posts