Big Changes

For anyone who's noticed my semi-incommunicado status and general lack of posts lately, I'm finally going to reveal a few of the many causes.

To start, my boyfriend and I broke up. Even though it was a very civil break-up based on a mutual decision by the two of us, it's been a sad and stressful time over these past few months, and it's made it hard for me to get motivated to write posts.

Adding to the stress was the fact that I had to find a new apartment because my b.f. and I lived together. This meant lots of time spent going from apartment to apartment and having plenty of interviews with potential new roommates.

Then I actually had to spend many, many hours packing up all of my stuff and move to my new place. Obviously, tons of work.

Despite all the craziness, though, I think things are finally starting to level out for me. My new apartment, with its hardwood floors, high ceilings, and quirky kitchen tile, is absolutely gorgeous, and my new roommates are very nice and completely charming.

Now I just have to tell them about my plastic-freeness (I didn't know them before moving into my new place so they don't know).

Right now, my plan is to wait a week and then tell them. That way, once they hear the news they will already understand that it won't effect their lives within the apartment very much.

The one way it might effect them: dishsoap. I don't know what we'll do yet. Should we use Dr. Bronner's? Should I ask them to use a homemade solution? I'll have to think about that tomorrow.

Comments

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear this. Clearly I haven't been keeping up with friends lately as I had no idea this had been going on for months.

Looking forward to seeing your new place and meeting new roommates at some point. I'm curious how they'll react to your plastic-free-ness.
Jeanne said…
Actually, no one knew until late last week so I don't think this is any indication on how good of a friend your are :)
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry to hear about the break up and subsequent move. I found your blog a few months back and although I'm not going plastic-free right now (super hard with a baby, I think), your blog is an inspiration to me. I'm thinking more about the purchasing decisions I make. I already preferred wooden and cloth toys over those horrible plastic noisy toys from Fisher-Price, but now I'm hoping to find glass bottles for my next baby and I'm trying to buy environmentally friendly cleaners.

Good luck in your new place and keep up the great work with your blog!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I'm so sorry! I hope your new beginning in the new place goes well and that you find yourself in a good space in your life again soon.
ruchi said…
Sorry to hear about the break up. Hmmm that is a tough one. Personally, I would probably just go with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in the 100% recycled container for now. Then if you get to know them better and they're cool with going with the solid soap, you can switch. But it's hard to go to a new situation and a week in make changes like that. People are usually fine with a change in brand, but a change from liquid to solid is the kind of petty little thing that can cause roommate fights.
Anonymous said…
Sorry things have been so stressful for you lately. Hope things even out soon. Really enjoy your blog. I'm trying hard to eliminate plastic from my life so your story is inspirational.
CLM
Anonymous said…
So glad you're back! Good luck with the new phase -

I agree with arduous...I think you should give 'em a little time to get used to the no-plastic idea in general. After all, they're just getting to know you (and you them). And then maybe you can convince them to switch to bar soap -

Megan
Anonymous said…
Hello! I discovered your blog a few weeks back while looking for homemade shampoo recipes and have been checking in once a week since. I think it is terrific how you're standing your ground and doing your best to rid your world of the intrusiveness of "convenience" - plastic being a big player of horrible 21st century so-called improvements to quality of life. I vow (whenever my husband and I are ready) to raise our children free of modern living as much as I can. No television and oversaturation of media, natural and organic foods and water, only the necessary possessions - you name it, I'm all for it. Kudos to you for your thoughts and efforts, and keep up the great work! You are very inspiring! :)
Jeanne said…
Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone!
Going Crunchy said…
Oh, lots of good toughts for you. Break-ups suck, even the best of ones. But life can and will work itself out.

Hey, maybe you will rub off in a good way for your roomates! Shan
Anonymous said…
It's been a couple of weeks. I'm interested to know the outcome of the "plastic-free" conversation. Some people who I thought were open minded about such things seem to be clueless when it comes to waste reduction, and one of them even got a little hostile about it :(.

Popular Posts