I also don't understand why my walls are not covered in screenprints dreamed up by local artists or why my couch isn't bedecked with funky, mind-altering pillows.
To address, and hopefully remedy, seriously confounding realities like these, I signed the Buy Handmade Pledge today and vowed to "buy handmade for myself and my loved ones, and to ask others to do the same."
I plan to buy handmade goods to support:
- Local artists
- Small-scale and local production of goods
- Availability of original and interesting wares
- The production of more environmentally friendly products, especially those that recycle and make the old new again
- folksy.com (a British Etsy)
- renegadehandmade.com (they have a store in Chicago so I get to see stuff in person!)
Take the Buy Handmade Pledge today!
p.s. I have to admit that I don't make enough money to buy everything handmade, but I'm looking forward to buying at least a few pairs of sassy earrings and maybe even a funky pillow. My neck always hurts when I lay on the couch...
Image courtesy of Matte Stephens. Buy this print or one of his many others on Etsy.com.