Using a vinegar rinse works just as well as Pantene conditioner!
I know it sounds crazy and unbelievable, but excluding that fact that your hair might experience a tiny more static in winter, it's true. After using a vinegar rinse, my hair was shiny, soft, and knot-free. And after it dried there was absolutely no smell. Even my boyfriend didn't notice it when I tested him. How awesome!
Here are the ingredients I used:
- Just under 1 liter of hot water (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 sprig of rosemary, for fragrance
- 1 bag of chamomile apple tea, for fragrance
In the Shower
Before using my vinegar rinse, I shampooed my hair as usual, and then worked approximately 3/4 of a cup of the vinegar rinse into my hair. Afterwards, I rinsed well and let my hair air dry.
Boyfriend Smell Test
As I mentioned earlier, my boyfriend didn't notice any vinegar smell.
The test: I made sure to wash my hair while he wasn't home so that I could test it on him without him knowing what was going on. When he returned home and my hair was perfectly dry, I walked up to him and nonchalantly tossed my hair in his face (it was sort of funny at the time), and he didn't mention anything. Later, I told him why I did it, and asked him outright if he could smell the vinegar. His response: "No." Awesome! No vinegar smell!
I'm Not Scared Anymore
I'm not out of conditioner yet, but now I know that I no longer need to fear the day when I run out. I will have an effective conditioner to use that is plastic free, environmentally friendly, and healthy.
- Experiences of a committed vinegar rinse user
- Interesting hair care info from the No' Poo Community
- Homemade beauty recipes from Eden Foods
- Additional natural hair care recipes from Styles 101
- Info on chemicals in shampoo and conditioner from the Green Guide
- More info on the harmful chemicals in shampoo from the Green Guide