But let's start with the good stuff.
Here are the ways I was able to avoid plastic:
- Brought my thermos, which allowed me to have plastic-free coffee and water on the go.
- Tried not to accept free beverages on the plane
- Found plastic bags in the house where we were staying and brought them with to the grocery store.
- Did not accept plastic bags at any of the additional stores I visited.
- Packed my own lunch to avoid buying food at the cafeterias
- Bought a sandwich at the first resort we visited, which came on a bio-plastic plate.
- Purchased several things at the grocery store that came in plastic because because I wanted to cook all my own food and bring pack lunches to the resort to save money. Things I bought included: yogurt, granola bars, pasta in boxes with plastic windows, and bagged spinach (that's all they had, unfortunately)
- Got a cup of coffee in a Styrofoam cup after being stuck in a horrible rocky mountain traffic jam (we went 2 miles in 1.5 hours)
- Accepted coffee in a Styrofoam cup on the plane home out of weakness/exhaustion
For next vacation, I need to try not to succumb to my coffee addiction and to also be more cautious in the grocery store. After all, I'm sure I would have been fine without the yogurt.