After many hours of reviewing the info available on the world wide web, I've determined that the links below lead to some of the best sources of info.
If you're interested in starting a compost pile or bin, I would definitely recommend checking them out.
From the University of Illinois:
- Composting in the Home Garden
- Composting for the Homeowner (this one's a little better than the first one)
- Main Page on Composting
- Basic Information on Composting
- Create Your Own Compost Pile
- Basic Information on Food Scraps (stats on food waste)
- The Soil, Compost, and Mulch Forum (You can glance through old threads or post your own question. Since most of the people answering posts on this site are very knowledgeable and super dedicated, chances are you'll have a good answer within a few hours.)
(Note that Planting Milkwood is a site created by two Australians with darling accents who decided to give up their artist lives in Melbourne and start a sustainable farm called Milkwood. Also note that three of these links contain very cute videos about composting that provide a nice visual on what good compost looks like.)
- Compost Calculator
- How to Make Compost: Part 1
- How to Make Compost: Part 2
- How to Make Compost: Part 3
Photo courtesy of the Warwickshire County Council.