A Vist to my CSA Farm

A while back I mentioned that I was thinking about doing a CSA share so that I could spend the summer eating delicious, locally-grown produce. Well, I decided to go for it and purchase a share with Mike and Clare's Farm, and as a result was invited to a farm tour and potluck dinner at their farm this Saturday.

I dragged a few friends out there with me, and we really had a blast. The farm was absolutely gorgeous so it was already a joy to be there, and on top of that we got to pet some cute pigs (even though it freaked them out), and eat tasty food. We also got to know Mike and Clare, who are extremely nice and friendly.

The day really convinced me that my CSA was a good decision. Now I can't wait to go to the farmer's market each Sunday, pick up my box of produce, and see what's inside. Whether it's lettuce, onions, or radishes, it doesn't really matter—I'll always know who grew it and where it was grown.

Oh, and I'll also be able to return plastic packaging to them, and request as little as possible in the first place. That will be nice.

--------------

A few pics from the day (Mike, seedlings, pigs, a friend of mine)

























(Although they do seedlings in plastic, the farm is still awesome)










Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for you! I wish we had some opportunities for a CSA near where we lived. We're moving later this year, and I hope they have more where we're going. We do love our cow-share though:)
Check out our cow-share information if you get a chance. Its a great for local farmers!
Anonymous said…
That girl is HOTT!!!!
Anonymous said…
I LOVE CSA's!! I live in Northern California and admit to being spoiled by the great produce year round. I actually love going to the farmer's market and can't bring myself to being a part of just one farm...but I have to tell you I've prevented having to take part in any plastic-atrocities at the Farmer's Market!
Going Crunchy said…
I'm thinking about it! All the ones by me listed sold out when I was checking last fall for this year! I'm glad that it's catching on.
Looks like you had a wonderful day! Isn't it great to know that our green decisions for the planet often amount to such wonderful, rich experiences?

There is a new CSA in our town. Its first year was last year, but I could not afford it at the time. Maybe this year I'll be able to. In FL, our season runs from Oct. to May, since it's too hot in the summer for any crops to do well.

Regarding your hankies: Why not just cut up a bunch of old shirts or something, so you can have a bunch on hand. We use this type of rag for "family cloth," which essentially means that we use rags in lieu of toilet paper for pee. I have 100% recycled paper for the other... but in a family of 4 with 2 daughters, we were going through a lot of tp. Anyway, I started doing the same thing for runny noses and yes, it does seem a bit odd at first (just as the family cloth did), but then, as with all lifestyle changes, it has turned out to be very normal feeling.

I don't suffer allergies, so I don't often have to have my hankies with me, but I do carry one in my purse for emergencies. I would think that you could have something like a makeup bag or little drawstring bag in your purse/bag in which you could carry like, 6 or something like that, so that you wouldn't have to use the same one all day, depending on how used it gets. Just an idea.

Love your blog and your commitment. It's inspiring and gratifying to see and nice to know we're not the only one's out here making changes! :)
Anonymous said…
Question about bulk food buying (i know it was posted weeks ago but was afraid you didn't check back that far). What do you put your food in? In ontario (which has a fabulous chain bulkbarn) the standard is plastic bags. Wondering what you used.
Jeanne said…
Anonymous, I use my grain/produce bags from Ecobags. They're great, and the people at Whole Foods often make comments about how cool they are :)
Anonymous said…
Great post! We did a post on CSAs as well, but we haven't joined one. This post is very encouraging and it looks fun. I'm sure the taste difference is remarkable as well. We do buy from local produce stands and it puts supermarket produce to shame.

Popular Posts